For Technology & Automation Vendors
Technology & Automation Vendors
Incredible advances have been made in the automation of pharmacy systems in the last thirty years. Unit-based cabinets, automated carousels, infusion pumps, dose prep solutions and their associated software solutions have all changed the way pharmacy is practiced as a clinical and administrative discipline. With each new breakthrough, new reductions in labor and improvements in data integrity were sought and accomplished. DoseID RFID systems, referencing a central repository of historical data on each dose, hold the opportunity to further them again by driving key improvements.
Improving Existing Systems Not Already RFID Enabled
Many systems already in use today can benefit from enhanced functionality without even including an RFID reading device. For instance, hundreds of hospitals use DoseID systems to restock the contents of their dispensing cabinets. While an RFID-enabled cabinet is feasible, merely allowing the DoseID system to update the contents of the cabinet that is being used to restock accomplishes the same level of time savings to pharmacy users. Any system-to-system handoff workflow from an existing DoseID can benefit in the same fashion, with one software integration to the registry driving unlimited numbers of lookups and transactions.
RFID Enabling Existing Systems
Many systems could benefit from built-in RFID reading capabilities. Carousels that can inventory themselves save users from manual inventory audits. Narcotic vaults that can query their contents after being accessed are always up-to-date and make diversion nearly impossible. Patient administration systems can carry the dose’s unique serial number all the way to the patient chart. RFID is not the solution to every automation problem today, but where it is, DoseID allows for a normalized approach.
High Level Benefits
- Access to independent 3rd party testing facilities
- Testing procedures for newly-developed hardware
- Standardized API endpoints to query and exchange data on scanned doses of medication
- Free lookup of items in DoseID Centralized Registry, with relevant history attached
- Certification through ARC RFID testing lab
- Licensing agreement with DoseID
Requirements for Automation Vendors and Solutions
A DoseID solution may bear the DoseID mark as part of the DoseID Program by adhering to the requirements set forth by DoseID including:
- Working with ARC Lab to ensure any RFID read points accurately read with DoseID Certified Product
- Connecting to the Registry to identify DoseID certified product and update the registry with key events such as Beyond-Use-Date updating
- Adhere to other requirements set by DoseID
Testing & Certification for Automation Vendors and Solutions
- Submit self-certification test results showing adherence to the DoseID requirements
- Pass the ARC certifications
- Complete a licensing agreement with DoseID